Souffles, Meatloaf and Casseroles (Stage 2)
Makes 8 servings
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 2 eggs
• 1 C MONTERREY jack cheese
• 2 lbs lean ground beef
• ½ tsp cumin
• ½ tsp salt
• 2 cloves freshly minced garlic
• 7 oz diced green chili peppers
Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, eggs and spices together. Place ground beef onto wax paper and form into a flat square. Sprinkle half of the cheese and half of green chili peppers onto the meat. Roll the beef inside the wax paper to form the meat into a loaf. Carefully unfold and remove wax paper. Place into a loaf pan, top with the remaining cheese and chilies. Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
SHEPHERD’S PIE WITH CAULIFLOWER TOPPING
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ C beef broth
- 1 tbsp low sugar ketchup
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ C 2% shredded cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
Directions: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 2-3 qt casserole dish and set aside. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, celery garlic and cook until beginning to soften, around 5 minutes. Add the ground meat to the pan and cook until browned. Add the beef broth as needed to keep the mix wet. Add the ketchup, parsley and season with salt and pepper. Let simmer while you prepare the cauliflower topping. To make the topping, drain the cooked cauliflower. Mash or puree with a stick blender until smooth. Add 2 tbsp butter and season with salt and pepper. Spread the meat mixture on the bottom of the dish. Top with the cauliflower mix and smooth with a spoon. Cover with cheese and bake for 30 minutes until top is brown and bubbly. Serve warm (Makes 6 servings) Provides ~ 3 ounces protein per portion.
NO NOODLE LASAGNA:
18 servings. Provides ~ 1.5 ounces of protein/serving (without meat) and 1 vegetable serving.
- 3 Large Zucchini (Thinly Sliced)
- 4 Large Summer Squash(Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Large Onion (Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Large Green Bell Pepper(Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper(Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Container Low Fat Cottage Cheese
- 1 large glass container of marinated red peppers
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil Leaf
- 1 Bag 2% Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat Oven to 365 Degrees
- Puree red peppers in a blender or food processor until sauce is at desired consistency
- Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the bottom of the baking pan.
- Add a layer of squash or zucchini to the bottom of the pan, on top of the olive oil.
- Next, add: pepper sauce, basil, 1/4 cup of 2% mozzarella cheese,1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1 Tbsp of Parmesan, 1/2 Tsp garlic powder, sliced peppers, and onions. Repeat this 4 times, but alternating the squash and zucchini.
- After building up the four layers, top dish with Parmesan and basil
- Bake 50-60 minutes. The Cheese should be golden brown.
- The edges may have extra juice from the vegetables and olive oil. Lightly tip the pan into the sink and drain the extra liquid.
*Ground meat may be added to this dish if desired or this can be a side dish during Thanksgiving.
SPAGHETTI SQUASH-TURKEY DOG CASSEROLE
- ½ Small spaghetti squash
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/3 of a white onion
- ½ Can of marinated red peppers
- Turkey dogs (4)
- ½ C Artisan cheese (blend of provolone and mozzarella)
Cut squash and half and scoop out seeds. Please one half face down in a microwave safe dish with a small amount of water and microwave for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, chop onion and mince garlic and throw in a medium skillet with 4 turkey dogs (cut in half long ways). Cook over medium heat until tender and dogs are cooked. Remove from heat. Scrape squash evenly into casserole dish and add the turkey dogs, onions and garlic. Make your sauce pouring ½ can of marinate red peppers into a blender. Pour the sauce over the casserole and top with cheese. Place in a pre-heated oven (350 degrees) for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
LAZY CABBAGE CASSEROLE:
- 1 pound each of extra lean ground beef or pork
- 1 bunch of green onions (about 6 chopped)
- 1/2 head of large cauliflower (shredded)
- 1/2 large head of cabbage (sliced thinly)
- Worcestershire sauce (1 tsp)
- Tabasco sauce (optional, to taste)
- onion and garlic powder (about 1 tbsp each)
- low sodium beef stock (2 cups)
- half salt to taste
Brown ground meat in a large skillet. Once the meat has cooked, drain any fat. Once meat has drained, add shredded cauliflower, green onion, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, onion and garlic powder a well as 1 cup of low sodium beef stock. Mix thoroughly and cook until liquid has reduced (about 15 minutes). In the meantime, slice cabbage thin and put half on the bottom of a deep casserole dish, or your slow cooker. Once the meat has simmered for an additional 15 minutes, pour it on top of the cabbage, then add the rest of the cabbage on top of the meat mixture. Add the remaining beef stock. Cook on high in your slow cooker, or covered tightly at 325 for 2 1/2 hours. If using an oven, be sure to stir every 45 minutes.
MIXED MUSHROOM PIE:
Makes 6 servings, 2 ounces of protein per portion.
- 1 muffin tin
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 lb sliced mixed mushrooms
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 C heavy cream mixed with 1/2 C water
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 C reduced fat swiss, shredded.
Directions: Heat oven to 375. Coat muffin pan with cooking spray. Heat non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned. Set aside. Whisk together eggs, cream, water, mustard, garlic salt, onion powder, dried thyme, nutmeg and cayenne. Stir in 1/2 C of cheese. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 C cheese into the muffin tin to make “crust” . Then spoon mushrooms into each muffin mold followed by the egg mixture. Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes or until set. Cool to room temp before enjoying. May be paired with broccoli and cauliflower if desired.
Recipe adapted from Family Circle Magazine May, 2012.
ORANGE GINGER TURKEY MEATLOAF:
Makes 4 servings
- 1 orange
- ¼ C flax meal
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ C cilantro, chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 ¼ lb lean ground turkey
- 2 tbsp low sugar ketchup
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Directions: Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Using a vegetable peeler, remove 2 strips of zest from the orange and very thinly slices on a diagonal; transfer the zest to a large bowl and set the orange aside. Combine flax meal with egg white, ginger, garlic, 1 tbsp water and ½ tsp each salt and pepper to the bowl with the zest and whisk to combine, stir in cilantro and half the scallions. Add the turkey mix just until incorporated. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet, shape into a 9X3.5 inch loaf and bake for 25 minutes. Brush the ketchup over the entire loaf and continue cooking until the internal temp is 160 degrees then allow to cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. While the meat loaf is resting, cut away the peel and white pith of the orange and thinly slice into rounds. In a large bowl, gently toss the orange slices, greens, oil, cilantro leaves and remaining scallions and ¼ tsp of salt and pepper. Serve with meatloaf.
MUSHROOM MEAT LOAF
- 1 egg
- 1/4 lb chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 C chopped red onion
- 1/2 C ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lb turkey sausage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
Directions: Shape into a 10 in x 4 inch loaf in a greased 13 in x 9 in baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, drain and allow to bake about 5 minutes longer or until temp reaches 165 degrees. Makes 8-10 servings.
- 16 oz lean ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin and coriander each
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C 2% cheese of choice (shredded)
- 3/4 C water
Directions: Cook the lean beef with the onion, peppers and spices in a coated pan on medium heat, once brown add water and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. In a greased 2 1/2 qt dish layer with half beef, then 1/4 C 2% cheese of choice (shredded) and then top with the rest of beef mixture and another 1/4 C cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. *Pair with a side salad to add greens to the dish!
Makes 4 servings.
MUSTARD HAM CASSEROLE:
Makes 12 servings
- 12 ounces fully cooked lean ham
- 1 C chopped green pepper
- ¾ C shredded cheddar cheeses (2%)
- 1/3 chopped onion
- 7 eggs
- 1.5 C heavy whipping cream
- 3 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp salt
In a 13 in x 9 inch baking dish coated with olive oil spray, layer ham, green pepper, cheeses and onion. In a large bowl combine the eggs, cream, mustard and salt. Pour over top. Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes.