Breakfast Recipes (Stage 2)
TURKEY BREAKFAST SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS
(Makes 4 servings)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- (or use any color of peppers you prefer)
- 1 tsp. + 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 12 links (about 10 oz.) turkey breakfast sausage links
- 1/2 cup low-fat Mozzarella, grated
Directions: Preheat oven to 450F. Spray a medium-sized baking dish with non-stick spray. Cut away the stem part and cut out seeds of the red and green bell pepper and chop peppers into pieces about an inch across. Put peppers into the baking dish, toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil, sprinkle with fresh-ground black pepper, and put the dish in the oven and bake 20 minutes.
While the peppers cook, heat the rest of the olive oil in a non-stick pan, add the sausages and cook over medium-high heat until they’re nicely browned on all sides, about 10-12 minutes. Remove to cutting board, line them up, and cut sausages into thirds. When the peppers have cooked for 20 minutes, stir in the sausages and bake 5 minutes more.
Remove from oven, turn oven to BROIL, sprinkle the grated Mozzarella over the sausage-pepper combination and put back in oven and broil 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is nicely melted and starting to brown. Serve hot.
LOW CARB NO EGG BREAKFAST BAKE WITH
CHICKEN AND ZUCCHINI POPPERS:
makes 4 servings
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 C grated zucchini
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- 3-4 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- olive oil
Directions: Toss chicken with zucchini, green onion, cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Use a small scoop to place meatballs into the pan. Cook 8-10 at a time for about 5-6 minutes on the first side. Flip and cook an additional 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and the center is cooked through. Make 4 servings.
Makes 4 servings
Provides 1 serving of veggies per serving, negligible protein/serving
- 12 ounces fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pulse spinach in three batches in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add cottage cheese, Parmesan, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Coat 8 cups of the muffin pan with cooking spray. Divide the spinach mixture among the 8 cups (they will be very full). Bake the spinach cakes until set, about 20 minutes. Let stand in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife and turn out onto a clean cutting board or large plate. Serve warm, sprinkled with more Parmesan, if desired.
EGG STUFFED ZUCCHINI:
Makes 4 servings.
- 4 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- ½ C water
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 4 eggs beaten
- Pinch of black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried basil leaves
- 1 C 2% cheddar cheese
- Scoop pulp out of zucchini halves, leaving a 1/4-inch border, using a spoon. Chop pulp and set aside.
- Place zucchini shells, cut-side down, in a large skillet; pour in water. Cover skillet and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until zucchini are slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Drain water from skillet and turn zucchini shells over in the skillet and sprinkle with salt.
- Heat butter in a separate skillet over medium heat; cook and stir zucchini pulp and peppers in the melted butter until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir eggs, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and basil into mixture; cook, lifting thickened portions with spatula to let uncooked portions of egg flow to bottom, until eggs are set but still moist, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spoon egg mixture into zucchini shells. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over egg mixture and cover skillet. Cook over low heat until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
Provides: 1.5 ounces of protein per portion. Recommend adding at least 2 more ounces of meat as main entrée and pairing this as a side dish.
ASPARAGUS AND RED PEPPER FRITTATA:
Makes 4 servings, provides 3 ounces protein/portion
- 12 fresh asparagus spears
- 10 eggs
- 3 whites
- 1/4 C heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 C parmesan cheese
- 2/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 large red pepper, sliced
- 3 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 C 2% shredded cheese of choice
Directions: Place asparagus on an ungreased baking sheet; drizzle with 1/2 tsp oil. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes or until tender, stirring once. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, cream, parm cheese, salt and pepper and pour into the12 inch skillet and cook 9 to 11 minutes or until almost set. Arrange asparagus and red pepper over top. Sprinkle with basil and 2% cheese. Broil 3-4 inches from heat source for 2-3 minutes or until eggs are set. let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into 6 slices.
Provides: 2 ounces of protein per serving and 1 veggie serving.
HAM AND CHEESE SOUFFLÉ
Makes 6 servings, provides 3.5 ounces of protein per portion
- • Nonstick cooking spray
- • 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, warmed
- • 3 large eggs, separated, plus 3 egg whites
- • 1 1/2 cups grated 2% cheddar
- • 1/3 pound lean deli ham, diced
- • 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard (make sure there is no sugar added)
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 6 (6-ounce) souffle dishes with nonstick spray. Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the heavy whipping cream. Turn off heat and let cool slightly. Whisk in the egg yolks, then the cheese, ham and mustard. Let sit and cool slightly while beating the egg whites.
In another bowl with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks. Stir 1/4 of the whites into the ham and cheese base mixture to lighten, then fold in the rest of the whites. Fill each ramekin 3/4 of the way. Bake until puffed up and lightly browned on top. 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.
Makes 4 servings, ~2 ounces of protein per serving
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 C thinly sliced mushrooms
- 2.5 tbsp butter
- 3 eggs
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 C 2% shredded Swiss cheese
In a large skillet, sauté the onion, zucchini and mushrooms in butter until tender; drain. Transfer to an 8 in square baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over vegetable mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Bake on 375 for 18-22 minutes.
CHEESY TURKEY DOG SCRAMBLE
makes 2 servings and provides 4 ounces of protein per serving.
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 diced medium onion
- 2 Turkey dogs, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 4 large eggs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup 2 % shredded Cheddar Cheese
In a medium pan on medium heat, add the butter. Once melted, add the onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey dogs and cook to heat them through.
Beat the eggs and add salt and pepper. Reduce heat in the skillet and add the eggs, then sprinkle the 2% cheese on top. Cook, stirring often, until the eggs are cooked, serve hot.